Far Infrared Therapy – What is it, and what does it do?
Far Infrared rays are the healthy part of sunlight. These are the same rays of the sun that warm you on a cold winter’s day.
Sunlight is made up of a wide spectrum of different light frequencies which include ultraviolet and infrared rays. Visible sunlight is in the middle of this spectrum.
At higher frequencies, visible light changes to ultraviolet light, also known as UV rays, which we know can cause sunburn. At lower frequencies sunlight changes to gentle Far Infrared rays. Amazingly, Far Infrared heat is even produced within your own body as a natural by-product of energy production.
Far InfraRed rays create a deep heat as they penetrate safely and comfortably into your body, stimulating even your deep tissues and organs by causing water molecules to vibrate, promoting heat, circulation and detoxification. As such there are many health benefits associated with infrared therapy.
In addition to being a very pleasant and relaxing treatment experience Infrared therapy helps people recover from exercise, injury and alleviates pain conditions. It has also been shown in scientific studies to assist in the following ways:
- Increase skin blood flow and encourage healthy skin
- Help to heal wounds – myofibroblasts and collagen content increased
- Increased angiogenesis
- Decreased cancer cells which have low levels of HSP70
- Supports detoxification
- Decreases oxidative stress-induced cell damage
- Reduce inflammation and swelling
- Decreases post radiation effects on healthy cells and promotes cell repair
- Increases cardiovascular function
- Decreases neuropathy symptoms
- People with Diabetes type 2 showed improved physical health, general health, social functioning indices, and visual analogue scales measurement for stress and fatigue showed improvement in all subjects
- Rheumatoid Arthritis and Ankylosing spondylitis sufferers showed reduction in pain, stiffness and fatigue during therapy
- Persons struggling with Allergic rhinitis (hayfever) having eye itching, nasal itching, nasal stuffiness, runny nose and sneezing all significantly improved. Smell impairment improved after last treatment
- Improved access flow and potency of arteriovenous fistula seen in Haemodialysis patients. And when used over 1 year, they had a lower incidence of AVF malfunction
- Reduced symptoms of exercise-induced muscle damage in athletes after races
- New mothers showed Increased breast milk production
- Decreases in females with long standing period pain
- Decreased cellulite seen with repeated treatments
- Long term effects seen in tissue healing, inflammation and pain.
Medical researchers conclude there have been some very promising results.
Infrared therapy certainly has a lot of scientific evidence showing how it works in the body and while science is important, our clinic is more interested in what it is going to do for our clients and how they will benefit from it. At the end of the day what is important is that it helps people feel better! Big celebrity endorsements such as this one from Lady Gaga who suffers from a chronic pain condition known as Fibromyalgia also give us confidence.
“When my body goes into spasm, one thing I find really helps is infrared sauna. I’ve invested in one. They come in a large box form as well as a low coffin-like form and even some like electric blankets! You can also look around your community for an infrared sauna parlor or homeopathic center that has one.” Lady Gaga
These studies show that Infrared therapy has been shown to benefit people in many ways but there is another bonus to this special kind of therapy which will appeal to most people! According to the – Journal of the American Medical Association.“Regular far-infrared therapy may impact a similar stress on the cardiovascular system as running, and its regular use may be as effective [at] burning calories.”
Okay, so what exactly is an infrared SleepPod treatment?
To be honest our SleepPod sessions are pretty difficult to describe because you will have never seen anything like them. Our custom made SleepPods are literally unlike anything else in the world. The entire experience has been created to impress you visually as well as physically.
You will enter a very dark blackened room softened with fairy lights and immediately see two super high tech looking rectangular Pods – which quite honestly look like something out of Star Trek. Most people say “WOW” when they walk in the room. Each Pod has a mirror wall on its side which is lit up with pale purple lights and a flat screen monitor at the feet end of the pod. You will choose from our menu of guided meditations for relaxation or healing to listen to while you have your healing session. Each Pod which is fitted with a special infrared mattress which is registered with the FDA as a grade 2 medical device*. The mattress provides your entire body (20cm in height) of far infrared light. These light rays seep into your cells warming you up from the inside, causing all your muscles to unwind and your pains to melt away, while stimulating a multitude of processes for healing. All you have to do is listen to some gentle meditation music, or take a nap, while you let the rays do their magic – it couldn’t be easier or more relaxing!
At the Sleep and Wellness Centre, we have two of these infrared treatment SleepPods available for you so feel free to book an appointment with a partner, friend or family member.
We have created schedules, based on clinical studies for specific ailments. Here are treatments and the recommended number of sessions required for the best outcome:
- Once-off sessions for general wellness
- Weekly sessions for general wellness
- Daily sessions for acute flare-ups for allergies, infections, or pain
- Daily Post-surgery sessions for 1 week
- Post-radiation sessions after and before radiation treatment
- Oncology support during treatment 2-3 times a week
- Lymphatic drainage/circulation support twice a week
- Detoxification once weekly
- Fibromyalgia/Chronic fatigue/Neuropathy 2-3 times a week
Please contact us to discuss the best treatment schedule for you, or chose now from our various booking options to get awesome discounts: